Sunday, October 20, 2013

Quoting from short stories

When you quote directly from a short story, please place quotation marks around the exact words of the author.

Don't use hanging quotes. What I mean is don't just throw your quote into the middle of a paragraph (or anywhere else) without leading into it. "Resist the Wicked One!" That's an example of a hanging quote. I should lead into the quote with a colon: Resist the Wicked One, Goodman Brown begs her. His words are ironic considering that, ultimately, it is Brown himself who gives in to his own dark nature, and he himself might be considered “wicked.” After all, as Hawthorne writes, Brown is “the chief horror” within the woods. If Brown represents mankind, or is a kind of everyman, Hawthorne is clearly suggesting that, although a person may hide his true intentions and stand in judgment of others, man is the most horrible of creatures because of such harmful tendencies. (Notice that I follow the quote with an explanation of what his words imply and why they are significant.) Notice also that, because a character is speaking within the quote, I use single quotation marks to mark his words and then wrap the entire quote inside double quotation marks. I even exchange the exlamation point for a comma because it suits my purpose, allowing me to use a smaller portion of the quote and add an attributive phrase.

Speaking of which, note that, even though I introduce the quote with a colon, I also use an attributive phrase, "Goodman Brown begs her," to clarify who is speaking. Always guide your reader. Make sure it's clear who is speaking. You don't always need attribute phrases like this one, but sometimes they are needed.

You would do well to notice several points in that paragraph:

1. The comma goes inside the quotation marks.

2. The quotation is only four words long. In fact, I could choose to use only the words “resist” or “Wicked One” (for example, I just use the word “wicked” in my explanation). Technically, I could delete the entire quote that precedes it. How much of a quote I use depends on how much of it I need. Generally, I prefer to use my precious words for discussion rather than just quotation. This is the most important part of the quote, for my purposes here, so it's all I need to use.

3. Notice that I don't just satisfy myself with saying YGB’s words are ironic. I suggest what the words’ connotations might be in the context of the story and then, even better, I go on to say how they relate to some of the story’s bigger issues: mankind’s dark nature and how, according to Hawthorne’s allegory, we judge others while we, in fact, are the worst beings of all.

That's all for now: set your quotes up properly. Lead into them. Don't use hanging quotes, and make sure you ALWAYS explain the significance of key words in your quotes. Do as I have done.

GC

No comments: